What is it?
An explainer video is a magic tool for making complex things simple.
By combining demonstration and explanation, they make abstract concepts better understood and remembered.
Maybe most importantly, explainer videos make learning fun and help to disseminate knowledge.
Why do you need it?
Explainer videos answer questions: how does it work? Why are we doing it? How can you use it? What can you do about it?
Whatever your project or product, the chances are good that you know it better than your audience does. Invest in a good explanation – the return will be worth it.
Here are five good reasons to consider creating an explainer video for it:
- Combining visuals with text and music helps us memorise content better.
- A helpful explainer that gets shared a lot strengthens your branding.
- You create an incentive for listening to your messages by enabling your audience to learn something quickly and easily.
- The video will save your audience the effort of reading a longer text, hence improving your chances to be heard.
- A good explanation can help you win over new customers, simply by clarifying what they will get out of your product.
What will it look like?
A good explainer will set out complex, abstract or technical topics in a concrete, simplified manner.
This good practice will help your explanation be understood and remembered:
- Avoid jargon – use plain language and add an explanation if you can’t
- Images can help to add content and thereby cut unnecessary explanations
- An explanation doesn’t have to be dry and boring: trigger emotions, for instance by using a bit of humour, or adding music and appealing imagery
- Simplify without dumbing down: check what can be removed without losing the message